Sunday, July 8, 2007

There is nothing better than a Sunday morning trail ride!


Happy Sunday! Kevin is doing well, no more "wooziness" from narcotics in his system. His pain has been controlled by Tylenol since Friday evening. He wanted Advil but I would not give it to him because of the bleeding potential post operatively. Today I left him early to join a young friend for a trail ride. We knew it would be a hot one so the plan was to leave early and it worked well. We left in the trailer from my place at 8am. We were ready to ride by 9 am. I must share, she just turned 18 and is the picture of youth; bronze, blond hair, full of energy and a "I know it all attitude". We, or most of us have been there. She had appropriate riding shoes and breeches on but she attempted to leave the barn with a "tank top" and NO sunscreen! How far do you think that went??..... Not far... her Mom asked if she applied sunscreen, she said "No, I don't need it I have a tan". I gently reminded her, "tans do not protect, look what I just went through with Kevin". This is a very bright young lady who plans to become an MD. I know she has the potential to meet those goals as she was essentially handed a full scholarship to the college of her choice. She then agreed, "you're right" and let her Mom apply the sunscreen. We went off and had a very nice ride, where I took the opportunity over the next 1 1/2 hours to share a bit more of what I have learned about Melanomas. I had a captive audience... where could she go on a one lane trail! She will be a great physician, she listens well!

2 comments:

Mary Lou said...

It was a great day for a trail ride and melanoma education. I hope your young friend never forgets the importance of sunscreen.

mcdj74 said...

I'm so jealous! I have to say that I've always been a fan of being tan, but I've also been a huge fan of 45 SPF!