Sunday, July 29, 2007

My Learning Log for MMG508 Information Research & Technology






After we completed our classroom time, part of the requirements to complete this course was to continue with 3-4 posts per week to our blogs, and comment on classmates posts. At the end of July we were to submit, via our blogs, a "Learning Log" for this course. This is my learning log for this course.

From Linda, Eileen and Lin I have increased my knowledge regarding the nursing shortage and the various factors affecting this profession. Being a nurse I knew some about many of these factors. Through my classmates research I have learned what is being done to decrease this problem, and many on the job techniques for reducing the stress associated with a multi-generational work force. All three of these women are a credit to the nursing profession.

From Jen I have increased my general knowledge regarding various ultrasounds and how they may be used in helping diagnosis in day to day issues. I have also learned from her the depth of knowledge required to do her job well, and she is a true professional!

Joann shares an interest which I have "dabbled in"; alternative therapies and complimentary medicine. I have several books on many of these topics, and an extensive collection of essential oils for use in aromatherapy techniques. She has brought to the forefront more information on a variety of CAM techniques.

Jocelyn has taught me more about gem diamonds than I ever realized possible! She is a true "Rock Wizard" and I would take her advise seriously and in a heartbeat. This woman knows her diamonds!

Mary Anne...she has shown me what real strength is all about. She has experienced the loss of her father during this course, yet she turned her loss into a beautiful learning log. She also came up with some terrific ideas to improve the workplace for all generations and types of workers. She should be featured on "Exceptional Women", the morning program heard on Magic WMJX, 106.7 radio station, right here in Boston!

MaryLou has found so many ways to educate us Baby Boomers, and keep us healthy. She has such a niche for teaching and does it exceedingly well! We need more "Boomers" like her!

Shannon has brought back the memories of how it was to be a child and use your pure imagination to create a fun, fantasy world. She reminds us all how important it is to encourage our children, through use of their imagination. They will become our leaders of tomorrow.

Tahia, so full of love and passion for what she wants to do. She will make an excellent Wedding Planner, although I think she should be "An Event Planner", not just limiting herself to weddings. I never realized how much was involved in putting a terrific, memorable wedding together. Things certainly have changed since I was married 35 years ago!

I have learned more about Melanoma than I ever wanted to know. This was not started initially out of a desire to do so , but a need to do so.I have through this class ,learned how to obtain scholarly research, and how to use technology to reach the largest audience possible; to warn others about the dangers associated with skin cancers. I plan to continue this blog. It is too important not to continue.

From Catherine Seo, our course professor, I have learned more about WEB 2.0 than I ever thought possible! I know more about the "codes of HTML/JavaScript" than I ever thought I would want or need to know, yet I have used them more than once in this project! I have realized what I do does make a difference, and the use of technology along with adding ClustrMap to my blog has only reinforced that belief. In less than 30 days I have had over 1000 visits to my blog from more than 53 areas across this country and the world! I think in part because melanoma affects everyone; it does not discriminate among races, creeds, skin tones, ages, or location. The fact I am having so many visits to my little blog site only reinforces this. None of this would have been possible without the help of Catherine. Her love and true passion for technology makes learning fun, and challenging. Her positive attitude always left me and others in my class, feeling like "Yes, we can do this". I can only wish all my remaining courses at Cambridge College are this stimulating! Most of my other courses have also been very educational and stimulating! Cambridge College truly creates an exceptional educational experience geared toward the adult learner. They realize all of us come to the table with a different skill set and valuable life learned experiences to be shared. They have an unique way of blending these experiences into the classroom setting and they do it very well!

10 comments:

Eileen said...

Chris--thank you for all your support not only in this class but in whatever "I can do" as you say.Beautiful, kind words could not have been written better-you have a gift. Your blog is excellent.I cannot believe that I have become hooked on this--I'm checking my blog and cluster maps a few times daily along with reading other blogs. Thanks again

Mary Lou said...

A very nice summary of the advantages offerred by blogging and this course. With a thousand hits, you have helped educate the public about this deadly, preventable disease.

posted by JoAnn said...

Chris, you put into words a wonderful summary of all of our blogs. Thank you for all your techinal help. Your blog is wonderful and what is even better is the fact that Kevin is going to be OK....

CareShare Network said...

This is an extremely informative blog. Good job!

The Girl Next Door said...

Chris- It was apleasure to have been on class with you. I am hapy things turns out well with your husband. Your have so much strength and determination. Thanks for sharing your experience with us all

Catherine said...

Chris,
Thank you - your work has been truely inspiring. As others have commented, you did a fabulous job of summarizing each and every BLOG.
Glad you are planning to keep BLOGGING. And thanks for the dressage - I still play it when I need to feel better.
Catherine

Linda's Blog said...

Chris, You have done a fabulous job summarizing this class, as always, a job well done. Your blog has not only taught me but it has also reinforce very valuable information. You my dear, are a credit to the profession of nursing......Have a great week and I will see you soon.

Chris said...

Thank you Catherine for your kind words, and those from my fellow classmates. I am grateful Kevin's findings turned out as well as they did, but I have got hooked on BLOGGING. I plan to continue this blog as I'm sure they are others who have melanoma who are facing worst than Kevin. Remember,8000 people die each year in the US from melanoma, and it can be prevented! I may not be able to post as often with new course starting, but I will continue! There is much to be learned. Something new coming everyday! Enjoy the rest of the summer! :)

Anonymous said...

[url=http://ivlkrwnnz.com]oXiHQnETExnEoZLNe[/url] - GFAMabWhbqdFXS , http://yuxeflk.com

Anonymous said...

An intriguing discussion is definitely worth comment.
I do believe that you need to write more about this topic,
it may not be a taboo matter but typically folks don't discuss such subjects. To the next! Kind regards!!

Here is my blog post; plytki scienne szczecin