Saturday, June 23, 2007

When Things Go Wrong

This blog was originally to be a fun project, a part of our research class. You may have noticed I have not posted anything for the last week.



When I left class on Sunday, which was my birthday, I was very excited for multiple reasons. I had an entire week off for vacation. A week planned to continue work on our property, and now I could also get a head start on my research project, "Dancing Horses" which is really about the dressage style of riding put to music. It has nothing to do with my ILP project, Hippotherapy. I was following Catherine's advice and researching a strictly fun project, something I always wanted to learn more about but really did not have the time to do so. this would give me the excuse I needed to learn more about the origins of dressage.



Monday June 18, 2007 I spent the better part of the day collecting my dressage information, storing it on del.icio.us, viewing You tube videos for the best "dancing horses" I could find, and really feeling good I was getting a head start on my blog project.



Tuesday my husband had a routine post-op visit with a surgeon who had removed a mole from his back the week before. His PCP did not think the mole really was anything to worry about but had referred him to the surgeon just to be safe. l accompanied my husband to the office and fumed as we waited for the physician who was 1 hour behind schedule. When my husband went in for his visit I asked if he wanted me to join him in the room, he said no he'd be right out. Thirty minutes later he came back out and said"I think you need to join us".



That is when the surgeon informed us not only did my husband have malignant melanoma,but due to the depth of the biopsy, and the fact that is did not come back with clean margins, there was a strong possibility this melanoma had entered his lymph system. Not a good way to begin the week.



My blog project quickly went to the very bottom on my list of priorities which needed to be done this week. My research was now focused on what we needed to know to deal with this cancer which my husband has now been diagnosed with and getting to the other physicians we needed to see before his surgery date.



It was a whirlwind week, but we did see his PCP, spoke with the cancer center, had pre-op lab work and EKG's done, and next week he will complete his pre-op visit with the anesthesia department.



When the dust settled, I thought how am I going to keep going with school? My first impulse was to simply drop out of this course. Not a smart financial move, but certainly an option. The other option was to take things one step at a time.



The doctors will not know for sure if it has entered the lymph system until after the find the sentinel node and remove it to test for spread of the malignancy. So things still could be OK. I then contacted Catherine and asked to change my topic and share what I have learned about melanomas of the skin. Perhaps you will all learn something which could help you in your own personal protection against this common skin cancer which affects some 56,000 new patients a year and results in the deaths of over 8,000 people per year. This will become my new blog topic.

7 comments:

Linda's Blog said...

Oh, Chris, I am so sorry. Please know that you have so many friends who care about you and we are there to help and support you. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your husband.

Eileen said...

Chris
Sorry to read what you and your husband are going through--what a terrible vacation week!Researching is good but some times-it gives us too much info when we don't know a definite diagnosis so try to go easy> You have many friends here who will do whatever we can to help and support you.

Mary Lou said...

Chris keep a positve outlook, use your medical knowledge and connections to be the best advocate for Kevin. Let me know if I can be of any assistance

posted by JoAnn said...

Chris, I have already told you this but if there is anything I can do for you other prayer (which I can do well)just let me know. Jo-Ann

Mary Anne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mary Anne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mary Anne said...

Hi Chris,
I have just read your heartfelt message regarding you and your husband's week at the doctor's office. Your article is a reminder of how fragile life really is. I don't know you very well, but please add me to your list of supportive friends. CC has offered each of us more than a just college education, but an education in relationships and life. I am glad that you have remained in the class inspite of your family difficulties right now. Thank you for sharing your story with all of us. On a personal note, I was diagnosed with basal cell carcinoma on my back in October 2006 after a referral to a derm PA. I was treated for over two years for what my PCP and NP thought was eczema. As an adult, I have always been careful about sun exposure, but must have acquired the basal cell during my younger years. The topic you have chosen brings skin health to the forefront, especilly this time of year. Nice videos as well. Please let me know how you and your husband are doing? Thinking of you. Mary Anne